Calvary Students – Parent Resource – October 11
This week, we continued in our series that we are calling “Hot Topics”. Each week, we will address areas in our culture and current issues students are facing to share what the Bible has to say about these “hot topics”. The basic idea of the series is that we want to teach students that the Bible is the ultimate source of Truth and that the Bible speaks to all areas of our lives. Culture and media are powerful voices in our lives, so we need to learn to filter what we see and hear through the Word of God. We are excited for the conversations that will come out of this series.
We looked at the following Scripture passages:
Ephesians 2:10 (Clearwater – Identity – Who you are and what is your purpose)
Philippians 4:8 (Seminole – Self Harm – How to think about ourselves and life)
I John 3:16-20 (East Lake – Sharing with others – How To Give Ourselves And The Gospel Away)
Depending on the campus you attend, you heard a powerful message from God’s Word and how it applies in our lives. We hope that through this series, we will be able to address some of the “hot topics” that are in your face on a daily basis. This past week, we were able to look at how what we do in our lives right now can greatly affect our future, how to see people as God sees them and loves them, and how to know what is too far.
Next Steps . . .
During the next week as you have time to talk with your student, consider asking the following questions:
- What was the main topic that you guys addressed in youth group?
- How do you see that topic within your culture (school, social media, news, etc)?
- What did you learn about how to live out God’s Truth in regard to that situation? What can we do as a family to address this issue? How will this change what you choose to do?
Parent Resource of the Week:
This month is a big month for RiverRock Church — Calvary’s X150 church revitalization in Holiday, Florida! On Sunday, October 21st, RiverRock will celebrate its Grand Opening and we get to help them prepare for this much anticipated day!
We are privileged to partner with this great church body to help reach their surrounding community with the Gospel and are looking forward to these upcoming opportunities to serve.
Here are some ways your family can be involved in X150:
1. This Saturday, October 13th, (8:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.) we need an army of Calvary volunteers to help canvass the neighborhoods surrounding RiverRock inviting individuals and families to attend a free Community Block Party on Saturday, October 20th. We will have flyers to distribute, bottled water, and maps ready to go. Bring your family, walking shoes, and a friendly smile and you will be all set.
2. On Saturday, October 20th, (10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) Calvary volunteers will be helping with a free Community Block Party. We are in need of volunteers willing to grill hotdogs, help with bounce houses, and demonstrate how a healthy local church loves its neighbors.
To sign up, please CLICK HERE.